Recipients recognized for international research and teaching excellence.
Queen’s University recently awarded its highest research-related honour to nine faculty members internationally recognized for contributions to their respective fields of study. Each recipient was named a Distinguished University Professor for exhibiting an outstanding and sustained research record, teaching excellence, and significant and lasting contributions to Queen’s, Canada, and the world.
“The work being done here at Queen’s in many different academic disciplines is contributing to our understanding of the world and the overall global body of knowledge in many fields,” says Daniel Woolf, Principal and Vice-Chancellor. “To celebrate this level of world-class excellence in research and teaching, it is my pleasure to designate nine of our most accomplished faculty members as Distinguished University Professors.”
The group of individuals chosen are the first to receive designations under the Distinguished University Professor Program, which was made official by the university’s Senate in 2017-18. Each year, the program’s advisory committee will invite nominations from the campus community, review the submissions, and make recommendations to the principal, who then determines successful nominees.
“Choosing this year’s recipients, from what was an impeccable pool of nominees, was no easy task,” says Principal Woolf. “That said, it served as a wonderful opportunity for me to learn even more about the breadth of work taking place here at Queen’s, and the incredible faculty driving it forward.”
Each recipient will soon add an honorific name to their title, to be selected from a list of Senate approved names. For the first set of designates, this process will take place shortly.
The inaugural group of Distinguished University Professors includes:
- Donald H. Akenson, Distinguished University Professor, Department of History
- Stephen Archer, Distinguished University Professor, School of Medicine
- Nicholas Bala, Distinguished University Professor, Faculty of Law
- Susan P. C. Cole, Distinguished University Professor, Queen’s Cancer Research Institute
- Cathleen Crudden, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Chemistry
- John McGarry, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Political Studies
- Ram Murty, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- R. Kerry Rowe, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Civil Engineering
- Suning Wang, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Chemistry
Visit the Principal’s website to learn more about the Distinguished University Professors Program, its advisory committee, and selection of honorific names.
Note: This article was originally written by Dave Rideout in the Queen’s Gazette.